Rob’s Summer Recipes
21 Jul 22
Summer is well underway, and we have been blessed with some great weather!
Our Development Chef, Rob Fairhurst, has shared with us a couple of his favourite Summer recipes, perfect for enjoying with family and friends outside in the sunshine!
Steak & Aubergine Salad
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Aubergine, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 Sirloin steak
- 50g Lettuce
- 50g Rocket
- 50g Feta cheese
- 2tbsp Flour
- 3 ½ tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Green chilli, roughly chopped
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of mint
- Dust the aubergine slices in the flour.
- Heat 2tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the aubergine and fry for a few minutes on each side, until soft. Set aside.
- Turn the heat up slightly, season the steak with salt & pepper, then add to the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side (longer if you prefer). Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- Blitz the remaining olive oil in a blender, along with the chilli, lemon juice, coriander, mint and a splash of water.
- Mix half of the dressing with the lettuce and rocket and tip onto a plate. Top with the aubergine and steak, then crumble over the feta cheese and drizzle over the remaining dressing.
If you don’t want the salad to have too much of a kick, de-seed the chilli by slicing in half and using a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 250g Mascarpone
- 300ml Double cream
- 160ml Coconut cream
- 70g Icing sugar
- 9tbsp Coconut rum (optional)
- 4 limes (3 limes zested, 2 limes juiced, 1 lime pared into curls)
- 150g Sponge fingers
- 2 Medium mangoes, peeled & sliced
- 50g Flaked coconut
- 300ml Mango juice
- Beat together the mascarpone and double cream until it starts to thicken.
- Add the coconut cream, icing sugar and 4tbsp coconut rum (if using) and continue to beat.
- Once thick, fold through the lime zest.
- Stir together 300ml mango juice, the juice of 2 limes and 5tbsp coconut rum (if using) and pour into a shallow bowl – this is your soaking liquid.
- Get a medium rectangular dish. Dip half of the sponge fingers in the soaking liquid for about 10 seconds on each side, then place in a single layer in the dish. Drizzle over 3-4 tbsp of the soaking liquid.
- Top with a layer of the mascarpone cream, then a layer of sliced mango (using about half of each).
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 with the remaining soaking liquid, mascarpone cream and mango slices.
- Chill for a minimum of 5 hours (overnight preferably).
- Before serving, sprinkle over the flaked coconut and lime zest curls.
To make lime zest curls, peel the lime using a peeler, then finely slice into strips – they will curl after a few minutes.