Rob’s Recipe for British Pie Week!
10 Mar 22
As a pie loving nation (and a food loving office), we couldn’t let British Pie Week go without a Middleby UK celebration!
With so many different solutions, from rapid cook ovens to deck ovens and convection ovens, making your own pies has never been so easy – so we would like to share with you Chef Rob’s recipe for delicious chicken and mushroom pies.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts (diced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 250g Button Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 400ml Chicken Stock
- 200ml Milk
- 500g Fresh Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 8 rashers of smoked bacon (cut into large pieces)
- Handful of thyme sprigs
- 150g Sweetcorn
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Fry the diced chicken breast for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the pan and fry on a high heat for a further 3-4 minutes, until the onions start to colour. (Add the bacon and thyme at this stage if you choose).
- Add the flour to the pan and cook for a further 1 minute, continuously stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and gradually stir in the chicken stock, followed by the milk.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the filling into individual pie dishes (or one large pie dish if you’d prefer).
- Roll out your puff pastry and place over the top of the pie dishes. Use a knife to cut around the edges of the dishes so that the pastry discs are the correct size.
- Brush all pastry with the beaten egg and place in the oven at 200˚C.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
To stop your puff pastry from going soggy whilst baking, consider chilling the pies for 15-20 minutes in the fridge before putting them in the oven.